Rai-Hua Lai, Ph.D.
Assistant Investigator, National Center for Geriatrics and Welfare Research, NHRI
Adjunct Assistant Investigator, Institute of Molecular and Genomic Medicine, NHRI
Ph.D. in Pharmacology from National Yang-Ming University
M.S. in Biopharmaceutical Sciences from National Yang-Ming University,
B.S. in biology from National Taiwan Normal University
2022-current Assistant Investigator, national center for geriatrics and welfare research, NHRI
My research interests are primarily focused on geriatric diseases, with a specific focus on Alzheimer’s disease (AD). I aim to investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying AD and potential therapies for the disease by utilizing epidemiology analysis and mouse and cell line models. Currently, my research focuses on identifying risk factors associated with the progression from mild cognitive impairment (MCI) to AD, as well as exploring the inter-organ crosstalk that contributes to the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Investigating Modifiable Risk Factors for MCI-to-AD Progression:
In addition to drug treatment for AD, it is important to investigate potentially modifiable risk factors that could reduce disease occurrences or slow disease progression in the early stages of AD.
- Exploring Inter-organ Crosstalk in the Pathogenesis of AD:
Recent research has indicated that novel mechanisms need to be addressed in AD. There is evidence suggesting that AD may not just start in the brain but could be carried to the brain from other parts of the body. This highlights the importance of exploring inter-organ communication and its potential contribution to the pathogenesis of AD.
- Rai-Hua Lai, Chih-Cheng Hsu, Ben-Hui Yu, Yu-Ru Lo, Yueh-Ying Hsu, Mei-Hsin Chen1 and Jyh-Lyh Juang. Vitamin D supplementation worsens Alzheimer’s progression: animal model and human cohort studies. Aging Cell. 2022 Aug;21(8):e13670
- Rai-Hua Lai, Yen-Hung Chow, Nai-Hsiang Chung, Tsan-Chi Chen, Feng-Shiun Shie, Jyh-Lyh Juang. Neurotropic EV71 causes encephalitis by engaging intracellular TLR9 to elicit neurotoxic IL12-p40-iNOS signaling. Cell Death Dis. 2022 Apr 11;13(4):328.
- Rai-Hua Lai, Yueh-Ying Hsu, Feng-Shiun Shie, Che-Ching Huang, Mei-Hsin Chen, Jyh-Lyh Juang. Non-genomic rewiring of vitamin D receptor to p53 as a key to Alzheimer’s disease. Aging Cell. 2021 Dec;20(12):e13509.
- Te-Haw Wu, Rai-Hua Lai, Chun-Nien Yao, Jyh-Lyh Juang, Shu-Yi Lin. A Supramolecular Bait to Trigger Non equilibrium Co assembly and Clearance of Aβ42. Angewandte Chemie – International Edition. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2021 Feb 19;60(8):4014-4017. (Co-First author)